Monday, January 17, 2005

MLK Day

MLK had a dream, a very focused one. I sometimes wonder about my dreams. Nothing profound, sometimes in black & white others not. In my dreams there is no guilt. And people in them tend to slip in and out of character. The dreams are often recurring but with different characters. I embrace the dreams, they are such a source of imagery. I need more sleep, more REM. See you there!

I drove past my old residence today. And I found myself looking for someone. There used to be this woman who for about a year or two would roller-blade past the house every day. 8:00 AM like clockwork. She was remarkable in appearance. Tall, long limbed and always aerodynamic in appearance. Rain or shine she would glide by with incredible grace and economy of effort. She would make the turn at Williams Avenue and accelerate. So smooth, so effortless. I wanted to photograph her but was unwilling to "steal" her image. I would look for her and wait for the opportunity to approach her. Not likely to occur anytime soon. But when I drive by, I will look.

I'm still mourning Avedon. I found this quote I wish to share with you.

"I've worked out a series of no's. No to exquisite light, no to apparent compositions, no to the seduction of poses or narrative, And all these no's force me to the "Yes." I have the white background. I have the person I'm interested in and the thing happens between us." - Richard Avedon 1923-2004

Godspeed Richard

No comments: